Monday, January 13, 2014

Thoughts


I was going through my etsy wish list last week, which of course lead me down rabbit holes to more items I love leading to what can only be described as a "favoriting fest". I started noticing a color trend with the items I was favoriting: corals, pinks, and some magenta. Then I checked my email and found out that Rue’s color of the month is blush and while my items weren't all blush/pink items, they were in the same family which got me thinking about color trends. Do they run forecasts to get people used to the colors they’ll be seeing that year?  
Example- Pantone announces orchid as the color of the year and I am less than impressed. My gut reaction to purple is not love at first sight. But as I see more items pop up in that tonal family I start to think “oh, that’s not so bad.” In fact, as I look at various pins of mine and things I’ve painted I start to realize wow, I don’t totally hate it. In fact, it’s pinned more than other colors that I say I  like! 
When I worked at a fabric store (ohmy gosh, a lot longer ago than I thought!) I could almost predict what was going to be popular color wise. Further confirming that I might have been a hipster before that was even a thing (is that meta?)
Now maybe this is where manufacturers and designers come in to play.  But what I don't understand is how they get the color palette before we do. Maybe it all is a marketing game and I am just naive. On another train of thought, now that I am more active in polyvore and olioboard I don't find myself saying "ugh, if only they made this" anymore. I do however say quite often "why don't they make that for my budget?!"
So many thoughts... why don't we just look at what came to be the etsy treasury list I made instead: 

'Stop it, I'm blushing!'


Sunstone Faceted Rondelles 5...
$14

Wood Burned Shield Wall Sign...
$60

bag charm with blue agate an...
$28

Llama Totem
$42

CLEARANCE - adjustable hair ...
$24.5

PREORDER - Hand Sewn Tea Tow...
$25

Resin Stacking Ring Yellow P...
$25

Fashion Art Print of Waterco...
$200

2 Vintage Quilt Pillows in 1...
$54

Fine art giclée print from ...
$36

Shapes & Textures Necklace /...
$24

No. 9901
$30


There, much better.

p.s. I guess I need to add "make a blog signature" to my to-do list... 

No comments:

Post a Comment